Flutter By

Monday, January 17, 2011

Snowy Fun, Part 2

One of my favorite childhood traditions was always baking chocolate "snow" cookies on snow days. I remember being in the kitchen with my mom and sisters, so excited to be off school, happily rolling the little chocolate balls in powdered sugar as my mom dished them out into our bowls. I decided to carry on the tradition with Lauren and Will! First we suited up in our aprons. The kids just got theirs for Christmas so this was their first time wearing them!








Here they are rolling the dough in the powdered sugar:




First batch out of the oven
(and dorky picture of me that John insisted on taking)

When we were done rolling I let them lick the bowl. Note the powdered sugar EVERYWHERE! I think it's safe to say that the aprons have been broken in!





Brings back memories, and making new memories with the kids -
what could be better than than that?



Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
2 c. sugar
3/4 c. vegetable oil
3/4 c. cocoa
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 1/3 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
powdered sugar
  • Mix sugar, veg. oil, and cocoa in mixing bowl. Blend well.
  • Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to cocoa mixture, blending well. Cover and chill for several hours or overnight (or put in freezer for 30 minutes or so).
  • Shape dough into balls (I use a cookie scoop).
  • Roll balls in powdered sugar. Bake at 350 for 16-18 minutes.

3 comments:

DeAnna Lawrence said...

So sweet and it does remind me of when you girls had snow days!

The Huntley 6 said...

No way. After I read this I went to bakerella.com and she made the exact same cookies. Check her out!

That was just wierd.

Lisa said...

love this :)